We all know there are certain actions, habits, and behaviors that we should be doing each day to be a successful entrepreneur. I’ve read countless blogs, listened to hundreds of podcasts, and observed my mentors on the subject. I know that to be a successful and productive entrepreneur, I should be and need to be reading one great business book a month, exercise daily, drink water, wake up before 6 am, check emails before 7 am, eat healthy, find a mentor, plan your day, set goals, save money….and I completely agree with every single TO DO.
I am an entrepreneur in very people based industry, events. And the reality is, lately I’ve observed that sometimes the most successful entrepreneurs lose track of the basics that ultimately make you a better person in this world. Things, that as human beings, we all should be doing every single day to make ourselves better people, not just better business people.
Here’s my top list on how to be a better HUMAN. (Take it or leave it)
1. Extend a Handshake: There is no better way to show respect and make a good first impression on someone.
2. Get Outside: It’s where we get our inspiration, oxygen and daily Vitamin D.
3. Brush your teeth: Although this sounds pretty obvious…you’d be surprised.
4. Have a Dream: Whether your dream pertains to business or a vacation or simply waking up in the middle of the night to some surreal fantasy, dreaming keeps us motivated and excited for each new day.
5. Offer a compliment to at least one person (even if you don’t know them): A simple compliment could change the entire outcome of someone’s day and takes no more than 3 seconds. We all have those tough days where life just gets us down and you never know how much your kindness could have a huge impact on someone’s day. For example, I just received this email from a woman I have emailed just twice and never met in person.
“Your website is excellent. You have managed some gorgeous events and made a lot of people happy!”
How nice is this woman? And her words came at a much needed time in my week.
6. Say I Love You… to something or someone: You have to LOVE something or someone in this life, so just be sure to let that thing or that person know how much you do…out loud, even if it’s to yourself. It doesn’t take a lot.
7. Read Something: It doesn’t matter what. Just read something. Take it from this great movie.
8. Say Thank You: Again, pretty obvious but you would be surprised how many people do not say Thank You.
9. Laugh: It’s good for the soul and the abs. Not to mention, it adds character to your face.
10. Learn Something New: The minute we stop learning is the moment we know it’s time to do something else with our lives. Make it a point to learn something new every day, even if it’s the rules to Quidditch. Personally, I was blown away.